[whatwg] Why is the feature "Web Storage" removed from HTML5 Spec?

From: zhao Matt <mattzhaoweb@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 22:19:12 +0800
I saw HTML5 spec 's
introduction<http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/introduction.html#introduction>includes
the following content,
"Features that are not currently in this document that were in the past
considered part of HTML5...,, include:... Web Storage"

I know "Web Storage" provides ways for web applications to store key-value
data in the browser, effectively replacing cookies, but I am curious why is
the feature removed from HTML5 Spec? or  Why can't the feature be contained
in HTML5?   thanks.