[whatwg] IDL attribute reflecting enumerated attributes not limited to only know values

From: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 17:18:57 -0400
On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 2:00 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
>> * marquee.direction
>
> What do browsers do for this one?

Seems like they don't limit it to known values, at least Firefox/Opera/Chrome.

>> * meta.httpEquiv
>
> I'm pretty sure browsers don't treat this as limited to only known values.
>
>> * th.scope
>> * textarea.wrap
>
> Browsers don't seem to limit these.

If we could change all these to limited without compat problems,
though, it would be a nice little simplification -- enumerated
attributes would all have the same reflection behavior.

> The real question is, would implementing the spec lead to compatibility
> issues?

As Mounir Lamouri pointed out, Firefox nightlies already mostly
implement the spec here, so I guess we'll find out.  :)  The spec is
considerably nicer than preexisting behavior.