[whatwg] Should events be paused on detached iframes?

From: James May <whatwg@fowlsmurf.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 01:58:22 +1000
On 26 August 2010 17:27, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky at mit.edu> wrote:

> On 8/26/10 3:23 AM, James May wrote:
>
>> Couldn't the iframe be kept alive, but remain "associated" with it's
>> parent browsing context until (if) it was re-parented / inserted into a
>> different document. (does this match what other elements in the DOM
>> behave in terms of event handlers when they are detached?)
>>

> Elements behave fine.  The question is what the Window should do.  What
> should window.parent return in the iframe while detached?  window.top? What
> should window.resizeTo do?  That sort of thing.
>
> -Boris

I thought I just suggested that?

Everything works normally (as if it was still attached) until it is
reattached, when the situation is re-evaluated.

In terms of resource consumption, I don't see how this would be any
different to any other kind of leak that web content can trigger. (I think
someone mentioned that iframes can be GC'd normally)