[whatwg] Built-in image sprite support in HTML5

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> > > However, what exactly happens with a media fragment URI like
> > > http://example.com/picture.png#xywh=160,120,320,240 is not fully
> > > specified in the Media Fragment URI spec.
> >
> > I would recommend fixing that. :-)
>
> Well, that goes into implementation issues and really has nothing to do
> with the URI specification itself.

Specifications have everything to do with implementation issues. That's
what they're for. If the specification doesn't say how to get
interoperablel implementations, then it's not very useful.

> As we adopt media fragment URIs into the HTML5 spec, we should prescribe
> what the user experience is meant to be, such that UAs can implement a
> consistent handling.

I don't think it makes sense to have the HTML spec define what other specs
mean. We've had to do it in places, but only when the other specifications
have dropped the ball.