[whatwg] Timestamp from video source in order to sync (e.g. expose OGG timestamp to javascript)

From: Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 13:34:20 +0200
On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 13:15:00 +0200, Chris Double
<chris.double at double.co.nz> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 11:03 PM, Philip J?genstedt <philipj at opera.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> It's too late, all scripted controls for <video> that display a
>> timeline are
>> already using the duration property.
>
> And they're probably using it as a duration not an end time. Doesn't
> this change cause problems?

It can't in Opera, since currentTime will always start at 0 (modulo bugs).
Is there any browser that really intends to let currentTime start at an
offset, and why? If so, I suppose that the seek knob will start somewhere
in the middle and that any attempt to seek to before that point will just
seek to that non-zero offset. That's a pretty weird UI and one reason I
think the timeline should always be normalized, whatever the timestamps or
other metadata of the resource itself says.

--
Philip J?genstedt
Core Developer