[whatwg] [html5] r5307 - [giow] (0) use vendor--feature instead of _vendor-feature since Apple engineers [...]

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 07:27:05 +0200
On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 06:32:33 +0200, Robert O'Callahan
<robert at ocallahan.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 4:05 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
>> Hmm, good point. Any other suggestions?
>
> Mozilla has already added a number of extensions using just a "moz"
> prefix
> ... e.g. mozInnerScreenX, mozPaintCount, mozRequestAnimationFrame.
>
> Webkit has added extensions using a "webkit" prefx ... e.g.
> webkitDisplayingFullscreen.
>
> In theory I guess that pattern could conflict with new features. But in
> practice it doesn't seem likely unless new engines enter the market and
> choose prefixes poorly. (I.e., don't choose a prefix that matches an
> English verb or noun.)

Note that this is for element attributes, not interface members. Having
said that, vendor-name (i.e. a single dash) is probably sufficient. It
seems highly unlikely we will ever use webkit-, ms-, o-, gecko- as an
attribute name. In fact, iirc we follow the policy that new attribute
names will not have hyphens in them, unless it is for some kind of pattern
(like data-).

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/