[whatwg] Please consider adding a couple more datetime <input> types - type="year" and type="month-day"

From: Andy Mabbett <andy@pigsonthewing.org.uk>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 03:43:09 +0100
On Mon, August 9, 2010 03:20, Ben Schwarz wrote:

>> On Mon, August 9, 2010 02:59, Ben Schwarz wrote:
>> > Because you can find an example isn't exactly what I would call a "use
>> > case".
>>
>> I didn't find "an example", I found many - more than one of which I
>> quoted, by way of illustration. What would you call a use case?
>>
>> > Nor were those pages examples of best practice in any way, shape or
>> > form.
>>
>> These requirements are new to me. Where are they documented?
>

> They aren't documented at all (afaik). Its a common design methodology to
> design for only what you actually require at a given time.

I'm afraid my confusion is only deepening; you didn't say anything about
"what [we] actually require" (why would you; the examples I gave
demonstrated that the facility to input 1-, 2- and 3-digit and BC dates is
currently required); you said that the examples I gave were not "best
practice in any way, shape or form".

[...]
> I'd like to think that
> a browser vendor would find it very difficult to schedule the time to
> implement such a full featured method of handling every date
> representation known to man, rather than "other awesome feature x".

I don't recall anyone asking for "handling every date representation known
to man". On the other hand, I have demonstrated a requirement to be able
to input every date known to man.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing