[whatwg] Feedback on the Mozilla FullScreen API proposal

On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 1:57 AM, Mike Wilcox <mike at mikewilcox.net> wrote:

> Regarding fullscreen elements: I appreciate the initiative, but I wonder if
> it's necessary to allow fullscreen at the element level?

It's not necessary, but it's a very useful convenience. It also allows the
UA to perform transition effects that are impossible just at the author
level.

I think Simon is already pointing out potential gotchas. What exactly is the
> difference between a fullscreen-element and a fullscreen-page that has an
> element in absolutely position, top z-index, at 100% width and height?

Nothing; see the proposed UA style sheet additions in the spec.

> As a developer, after entering fullscreen I could possibly do a fancy
> transition of the element to take up 100%.

You can't do it as well as the UA can, because a really good transition
effect involves desktop-level effects that authors don't have access to. For
example you might want part of the window to zoom out and cover the entire
screen, semi-transparent over the desktop while zooming.

I would disrecommend authors trying to create custom transition effects that
depend on geometry; they probably won't work across browsers because they'll
interfere with the UA's effects.

Rob