[whatwg] [br] element should not be a line break

From: Bryce Fields <royalrodent@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 17:02:33 -0400
On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 4:29 PM, Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 2:53 PM, Bryce Fields <royalrodent at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Why not just list <br> along with the other obsolete elements instead of
> > trying to rebrand it semantically?
>
> What markup do you propose for addresses and poems, and in what
> practical sense would this markup be superior to using <br>?

The HTML5 spec says of <pre>: "The?pre?element?represents?a block of
preformatted text, in which structure is represented by typographic
conventions rather than by elements."

<pre> sounds ideal for both examples to me (in conjunction w/ the
<address> element in the second example. It preserves the line breaks
w/o adding any overhead markup to the mix.

--
-----
Bryce Fields

"Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda