[whatwg] [br] element should not be a line break

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 1:24 PM, Christoph P?per <christoph.paeper at crissov.de
> wrote:

> Jeremy Keith:
> >
> > The <hr> element is currently defined as "a paragraph-level thematic
> break." I think <br> could be defined as "a text-level thematic break."
>
> That makes perfect sense. The only problem I see is existing content which
> relies on consecutive ?br?s producing multiple line breaks, i.e. often a
> paragraph-like appearance. (Although ?br?s were always intended to be
> collapsed, browsers never did this.)

Why not just list <br> along with the other obsolete elements instead of
trying to rebrand it semantically?  Let's face it.  <br> is a pain to try to
rationalize as a purely semantic element and any use you have for the
element could probably easily be accomplished w/ other semantic code.  Why
not just call it obsolete and discourage authors and vendors from using it?

(first post...be gentle...)  :)

-----
Bryce Fields
www.royalrodent.com

"Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda