[whatwg] Input URL State and Files object

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 01:54:28 +0000 (UTC)
On Wed, 5 May 2010, Charles Pritchard wrote:
> On 5/5/2010 12:42 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
> > On Wed, 5 May 2010, Charles Pritchard wrote:
> > >
> > > Awhile ago, it appears, the "files" object was removed from <input
> > > type="url">
> >
> > "files" doesn't really make much sense for type=url... Do you mean
> > type=file?
>
> Sorry, it didn't make much sense: I meant a FileList object which
> FileReader would use.

I still don't really see what you want here.

> > > Is there currently a method for allowing cross-domain access to an
> > > image based on user input?
> >
> > XMLHttpRequest is the intended way to do this.
>
> XMLHttpRequest relies upon CORS headers from the server

Yes. We would have to rely on CORS whatever the solution was to be.

> Should a user intentional drag an image or URL object, or otherwise
> select one from their browser UI, the interaction is quite similar to
> the <input type="file"> object. Only, with a remote resource.

Is this a common occurance?

> I'm sorry to have approached this so poorly; what I'm looking for is a
> solution to the following use case:
>
> A person is assembling a digital scrap-book, using a web application, of
> pictures they've found related to their love of kittens. Those that
> they've downloaded to their computer, they simply drag and drop into the
> application -- (File API, FileReader, ondrop). Those that they find on
> the internet, they drag their bookmark onto the application, drag the
> image onto the application, or simply, copy and paste the URL into an
> <input type="url"> box.

Oh, you mean the ability for the user to give the page access to remote
resources that themselves aren't opting in to giving the page access.

Why wouldn't <input type=file> be usable for this? You should be able to
drag any file to that, just like you can type in a URL in Windows in an
open file dialog box.