[whatwg] Dealing with Stereoscopic displays

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 2:04 AM, Eoin Kilfeather <ekilfeather at dmc.dit.ie> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if any though had been given to a consistant way of
> dealing with stereoscopic displays. A use case has come up in a
> project I am working on which calls for the use of stereoscopic UIs
> but I can find no metion of the term in either the specs or the
> mailing list archive. My though was that perhaps it could be achieved
> by having a browsing context "_left_display" or "_right_display"
> allowing the user agent would render the left/right eye views to the
> correct display in a technology agnostic way. Apologies if this has
> already been covered.
>
> Eoin.

I do not think such a need has been taken to the Web yet.

I am wondering: Would that require a Web page to be defined as
actually two basically complete Web pages, separately coded, and then
marked as targeted at the left eye and the right eye? That would be a
very special use case on the Web and hardly render on every Desktop
other than maybe as two Web pages one behind the other.

If you need something like this, why don't you implement a demo with
two actually separate Web pages and a main page that somehow connects
the two pages to your stereoscopic display, targeting one at each
channel? JavaScript will help. Then you can find out if there is some
technical limit and how it may be done in HTML if there is a need for
extension.

Cheers,
Silvia.