[whatwg] Proposal for secure key-value data stores

This is getting fairly tiresome.  If you're interested in continuing this
thread, please actually read the replies thus far and directly respond to
the points rather than re-stating what's already been rebutted.

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Paul Kinlan <paulkinlan at google.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a specific use-case where encryption is required, and currently the
> only solution is to find a JS library that can encrypt the data on the way
> in or way out of storage.
>
> The main cases I have:
>
>    1. Storage needs to be encrypted on disk, device etc.
>    2. Data needs to be in decrypted form for the shortest amount of time
>    possible while in use in an application.
>
> These are not use cases.  Can you please describe some specific examples
applications and their requirements for encrypted data?  To be honest, I'm
pretty certain you're not going to come up with any that aren't solved by
what you can do today with JS, made better with a JS crypto API, and made
easier on the developer by integrating crypto into the storage APIs.
 (Though as I explain below, the last part is pretty much a non-goal.)

> My gut, general feeling is that encryption of information to and from
> storage is moot, because introspection of a running app is
> so unbelievably easy.  However, on disk storage *must* be encrypted and
> sandboxed.  i.e, data needs to be only available to the domain running the
> code, and it cannot be peaked at by examining the disk.
>
> I have only followed this thread a little while, and as dev who uses JS a
> lot, explicitly having to encrypt data is bad and a pain and open to
> mistakes.

Then someone should make a library to do this.  Expanding the surface areas
of APIs should not be taken lightly.  As I've explained, we only expand API
surface areas when something is impossible to accomplish or when there are
performance reasons.  And then we still try to keep things minimal.  Dirk
explained well why a generic JS crypto library would solve more use cases
than adding crypto to a particular storage API.  I really don't know why
we're still discussing this.

> I don't want to be handling encryption of my data, I don't do anything
> special to communicate over https, and I look at storage the same way.

What's been proposed so far will NOT work as seamlessly as HTTPS.

If you want it to happen magically, then the UA should encrypt all data
transparently to the user or web developer.  I actually think this is ideal,
but the problem is that it's not clear where the key should come from.
 After all, if you store it on disk, then you're still at the mercy of the
file system/OS keeping you secure.  If you store it remotely (as has been
mentioned in this thread) then we need to come up with an API to pass that
key in or we need to somehow add the key to HTTPS connections.

Maybe what we should really be doing is looking at adding a HTML attribute,
HTTP header, or something like that that gives the browser a private key to
be used to encrypt _everything_ associated with the web page.  Including
history, any storage APIs, etc.  I suppose the file API would need some way
to opt-out (per what Jonas pointed out).

In summary, this is something I expect of the UA and not any specific JS
> API.

Although ease of use of JS APIs is great and should be a goal, it is not the
primary goal by any stretch of the imagination.  Keeping API surface area
down is much more important.