[whatwg] Please always use utf-8 for Web Workers

From: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 15:45:30 +0200
On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 15:31:41 +0200, Jonathan Cook
<jonathan.j5.cook at gmail.com> wrote:

> The importScripts portion of the Web Workers API is compatible with
> existing scripts,

Only if those scripts don't use any of the banned interfaces and
constructors, right?

> but I'm all for more UTF-8 :)  If the restriction is added to the spec,
> I'd want to know that a very clear error was going to be thrown
> explaining the problem.

I'm not sure that throwing an error is a good idea. Would you throw an
error when there's no declared encoding? That seems to be annoying for the
common case of just using ASCII characters. Throwing an error when there
is a declared encoding that is not utf-8 might work, but are there many
scripts that have a declared encoding and are not utf-8?

I think it is to just ignore any declared encoding and assume utf-8. If
people are using non-ascii in another encoding, then they would notice by
seeing that their text looks like garbage. Browsers could also log
messages to their error consoles about encoding declarations declaring
non-utf-8 and/or sequences of bytes that are not valid utf-8.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software