[whatwg] Cache Manifest: why have NETWORK?

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 22:49:51 +0200, Michael Nordman <michaeln at google.com>
wrote:
> That probably makes sense too in some use cases. Without practical
> experience with this thing, its difficult to 'guess' which is of more
> use.

Really? It seems quite natural to specify a catch-all fallback namespace
and still want some resources to hit the network. I.e., as I demonstrated
with an example:

   FALLBACK:
   / /offline

   NETWORK:
   /request

Now Ian suggested I could instead do

   FALLBACK:
   /request /request?fallback
   /offline

... which could certainly work but would make NETWORK redundant. You
argued however that NETWORK was needed because "a fallback resource with a
mock error or empty response is busy work" While I did not quite
understand this reason I suppose having the additional fallback while a
network error should be sufficient is not great and therefore I suggested
giving non-wildcard NETWORK resources priority.

You suggest this might make sense, but I've yet to see a good argument as
to why the current approach makes sense. It certainly does not help with
the example above.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/