[whatwg] Cache Manifest: why have NETWORK?

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 10:43:57 +0200
On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 20:09:03 +0200, Michael Nordman <michaeln at google.com>
wrote:
> For cases where you don't want to, or can't,  'fallback' on a cached
> resource.
> ex 1.
>
> http://server/get/realtime/results/from/the/outside/worldCreating a
> fallback
> resource with a mock error or empty response is busy work.
>
> ex 2.
>
> http://server/change/some/state/on/server/side?id=x&newValue=y
> Ditto

You could fallback to a non-existing fallback or some such. But if it is
really needed NETWORK should get priority over FALLBACK in my opinion (or
at least the subset of NETWORK that is not a wildcard) so in cases like
this

   FALLBACK:
   / /fallback

   NETWORK
   /realtime-api
   /update

... you do not get /fallback all the time.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/