[whatwg] size content attribute on <input type=number>

From: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 11:26:24 -0400
On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 7:29 AM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> Use the min, max, and step attributes to specify the range, then the UA
> can automatically determine the size.

I guess.  I'm sure there are some cases where you'd have an idea of
likely values but don't want to actually prohibit values outside the
range, but I can't think of a very good example offhand.

> That's an interesting idea. In practice, though, I think people will have
> much more elaborate fallback than just text -- using script -- so that the
> size="" attribute isn't that important for this purpose. When no script is
> available, the default size is fine, IMHO. I'd rather make the conformance
> criteria be forward-looking here.

It's unlikely anyone will have script fallback for number, and script
fallback for things like time isn't a given.  But I see your point
here.  For now, authors can use CSS to control the width if they like.