[whatwg] Application defined "locks"

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 10:07 PM, Darin Fisher<darin at chromium.org> wrote:
> Well, the problem is that the creator of the transaction and the code
> associated with the showModalDialog call may not be related. ?The
> showModalDialog code might normally be used outside the context of a
> transaction, in which case the code would normally work fine. ?However, if
> triggered from within a transaction, the dialog would be stuck.

I agree that is possible.

It at least meets the bar that every time this code path is executed
it will behave exactly the same way (we have spec'd things before
where we didn't even get this far, because of gc issues).

But it would be better to not have weird edge cases like this in
uncommon paths.

OTOH, it seems like showModalDialog() is just a sharp edge that is
likely to hurt you no matter what. Even with your proposal, unless you
carefully arranged things in preparation for showModalDialog(), you
could get stuck the same way.

- a