[whatwg] RFC: Alternatives to storage mutex for cookies and localStorage

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 15:55:52 -0700

On Sep 8, 2009, at 1:08 AM, Jeremy Orlow wrote:

> First of all, I'm not sure I agree that we're at the point where
> breaking compatibility is impossible.  It really doesn't seem like
> it's terribly widely used, and what's implemented is based on an
> early draft of the spec.  Yes, I agree that it's really unfortunate
> we didn't iron these problems out better before everyone implemented
> it, but if LocalStorage changed today, it definitely wouldn't break
> the web.  (Of course, it's possible that we would be breaking the
> web by the time the next gen of the major browsers ship.....it's
> hard to know for sure.)

I know LocalStorage is used in a lot of mobile-specific Web content
that targets WebKit-based browsers. I also expect there are mainstream
sites using LocalStorage at least as an alternative when available,
given that it's in the latest version of nearly every brrowser.

If you think changing LocalStorage incompatibly "definitely wouldn't
break the web" then I'd like to see some data.

Regards,
Maciej