[whatwg] <a onlyreplace>

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> [...]

> the site as an ordinary multi-page app.  Legacy UAs will automatically
> do so, providing perfect backwards compatibility.
>

> 1. One of the big beneficiaries of @onlyreplace will be fairly ordinary
> sites that are currently using an ordinary multi-page architecture.
> All they have to do is add a single tag to the <head> of their pages,
> and they automatically get the no-flicker refresh of a single-page app.
> These sites are *already* grabbing the whole page on each request, so
> @onlyreplace won't make them take any *additional* bandwidth.  It will
> merely make the user experience smoother by reducing flicker and keeping
> js-heavy elements of the page template alive.
>
> 2. Even though site templates are usually weighter than the dynamic
> portions of a site, it's still not a very significant wasteage.  For
> comparison, my company's main site is roughly 16kb of template, and
> somewhere around 2-3k of dynamic page content.  (Aryeh - I gave you
> slightly different numbers in chat because I was counting wrong.)  So
> that's a good 85% of each request being thrown away as irrelevant.
> However, it's also *only 16kb*, and that's UNCOMPRESSED - after standard
> gzip compression the template is worth maybe 5kb.  So I waste 5kb of
> bandwidth per request.  Big deal.  (According to Philip`, my company's
> site's weight is just on the low side of average.)
>
> 3. Because this is a declarative mechanism (specifying WHAT you want,
> not HOW to get it), it has great potential for transparent optimizations
> behind the scenes.  For example, the browser could tell the server which
> bits it's interested in replacing, and the server could automatically
> strip full pages down to only those chunks.  This would eliminate
> virtually all bandwidth waste, while still being completely transparent
> to the author - they just create ordinary full static pages.  Heck, you
> could even handle this yourself with JS and a bit of server-side coding,
> intercepting clicks and rewriting the urls to pass the @onlyreplace data
> in a query parameter, and have a server-side script determine what to
> return based on that.  Less automatic, but fairly simple, and still
> easier than using JS to do this in the normal AJAX manner.  (And UAs
> that don't run javascript but do support @onlyreplace will still work
> properly, just with a bit more bandwidth waste.)
>

> Semantically the replace operation should be identical to grabbing the
> appropriate chunk of text from the new page and setting is as the
> outerHTML of the appropriate element.  Any <script>s that are located
> within this chunk would run in the exact same manner.  Scripts elsewhere
> in the new page would not be run.
>
> document.write()s contained in <script> blocks inside the target
> fragment will run when they get inserted into the page, but
> document.write()s outside of that won't.  Producing the target fragment
> with document.write() is a no-go from the start. Don't do that anyway;

[...]

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> We actually have a similar technology in XUL called "overlays" [1],
> though we use that for a wholly different purpose.
>
> Anyhow, this is certainly an interesting suggestion. You can actually
> mostly implement it using the primitives in HTML5 already. By using
> pushState and XMLHttpRequest you can download the page and change the
> current page's URI, and then use the DOM to replace the needed parts.
> The only thing that you can't do is "stream" in the new content since
> mutations aren't dispatched during parsing.
>
> For some reason I'm still a bit uneasy about this feature. It feels a
> bit fragile for some reason. One thing I can think of is what happens if
> the load stalls or fails halfway through the load. Then you could end up
> with a page that contains half of the old page and half the new. Also,
> what should happen if the user presses the 'back' button? Don't know how
> big of a problem these issues are, and they are quite possibly fixable.
> I'm definitely curious to hear what developers that would actually use
> this think of the idea.

See also Daniel's HTMLoverlays:

   http://disruptive-innovations.com/zoo/20040830/HTMLoverlays.html

[...]

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009, Schuyler Duveen wrote:

> If you'd like to see what this looks like in Javascript, I implemented
> this technique several years ago.  One place you can see it publicly is
> the swapFromHttp() function at:
> http://havel.columbia.edu/media_panels/js/MochiPlus.js
>
> You can see it in action on some pages like:
> http://havel.columbia.edu/media_panels/video_window/?material=abrams
> where it adds in the page on the left from this file
> http://havel.columbia.edu/media_panels/materials/abrams.html
>
> One of the big issues we found using it on some other sites is that
> javascript listeners (rather than onclick="" attributes), and other DOM
> pointers in the system became stale.  Thus, only half the problem was
> solved.
>
> Also, the problem (as I implemented it) is that XMLHttpRequest.xml has
> been very finicky in past (and current) browsers.  My comments in the
> code reflect some of the things you need to make sure you're doing to
> make it work across browsers (at least if you want a DOM vs. regex
> implementation):
>
> * IE 6 needed the Content-type: text/xml
>
> * Firefox (?2.x) wants xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" in html tag
>
> * IE and Safari don't handle named entities like &nbsp; well in this
> context and should be numeric (e.g. &#160;)
>
> Vendors might better serve us by reducing these hoops to jump through so
> a javascript library could do the job reliably.
>
> This method did make it much easier to leverage server template code.
> But since it largely simplifies server template code, then why not stick
> with server-side solutions like Ian Bicking's:
> http://blog.ianbicking.org/2008/09/08/inverted-partials/
>
> It's still a bit weird that this proposal, instead of allowing every
> element to be a link (like XHTML2), would allow every element to be
> something like an IFRAME (all while a thread remembering how evil
> framesets are continues).

My recomendation would be to follow the process for adding features:

   http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/FAQ#Is_there_a_process_for_adding_new_features_to_a_specification.3F

In particular the bit about experimental implementations. I think this
idea looks very interesting, but it's hard to evaluate without concrete
experience with a browser implementing this (or, as Jonas suggests, a
library that hacks it in).

It seems like the kind of thing that we could adopt early on in the next
feature cycle, if it turns out to be a good solid model.