[whatwg] framesets

Nelson,

1) Framesets have been deprecated for quite a long time. The reasons
for the deprecation have been repeated ad nauseam, and very solid.

Which solid objections did I not knock down?

2) There is a specific use-case (that has nothing to do with databases
or bookmarking) that framesets solve better out-of-the box right now
in most browsers: that of a panel-based layout that allows resizing
and maintains UI state without flickering whilst loading content in
different panels (this is, I believe, the "something" you're getting
at).

OK.

>3) There are HTML5-conformant solutions available right now that allow
>you to replicate the above scenario with a little more work.

Can't tell without a lotta work on it, I've solved the problem once, I'd
rather spend development time on unsolved problems.

>6) For clarity sake, I'll repeat the point made several times:the
>bookmarking/navigation/security issue is *not* solved by framesets,

OK and for clarity's sake I'll again repeat framesets don't solve the
navigation problem, they just make it easier to solve than any other
available proved solution, and this wee problem is that browsers  own
bookmarks, database users own database table rows, so usually you
shouldn't bookmark database table rows, and much follows from that,
therefore saying server issues don't bear on this issue is IMO
astonishingly & quite wrongly blinkered.

>As an aside, there is a reason why AJAX has become so popular over the
>past few years: it solves the specific UI-reset issue that is inherent
>in full-page refreshes. Maybe there is room for a better,
>standard-based approach to solving this issue, but framesets ain't it.

Indeed, and as you also know in some contexts AJAX is not the most
desirable refresh solution.

Thanks for the links to two alternative possibilities.

PB

-----