[whatwg] Transparent Content

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009, Yuvalik Webdesign wrote:

> > If there's another way of saying what the spec says that is
> > technically precise but more understandable, I'd be happy to use it.
> > In the meantime, I've added an example to explain it better.
>
> Would this do:
>
> If a transparent element were to be replaced by an element equal to its
> parent while retaining its content, this content should remain
> conformant.

That wouldn't catch a case where there was some ordering issue.

For example, suppose element <foo> can only have one child <unique>, as
well as many other elements. Suppose <bar> is transparent and can be a
child of <foo>.

Now consider:

   <foo>
    <unique id=1/>
    <bar>
     <unique id=2/>
    </bar>
   </foo>

Is this conforming? If we apply your criteria:

   <foo>
    <unique id=1/>
    <foo>
     <unique id=2/>
    </foo>
   </foo>

...then yes, it appears conforming. But if we apply the spec's criteria:

   <foo>
    <unique id=1/>
    <unique id=2/>
   </foo>