[whatwg] framesets

 <Pine.LNX.4.62.0910121145480.25383 at hixie.dreamhostps.com>

I guess it's not a HTML5 question but more a "best practice" question but ...
In case an application has navigation menus that cannot be reloaded each time.Only the content part should be reloaded.

What is a better

1. Using an iframe for the content and fixing bookmarking/back button
2. Using Ajax to update the content - a "single document application"

The issue with the later option is not user experience but browser performance.
Is never reloading the document, only updating the DOM harmful? (like caches wont be cleaned , garbage collection will not be done properly) .

Maybe it's browser specific but it also has to do with what browsers are supposed to support and test.

> Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 11:46:37 +0000
> From: ian at hixie.ch
> To: t_garsiel at hotmail.com
> CC: whatwg at whatwg.org
> Subject: RE: [whatwg] framesets
>
> On Mon, 12 Oct 2009, tali garsiel wrote:
>>
>> Does "pushState" apply to bookmarking?
>
> Insofar as bookmarking uses the document's current address, yes.
> (Bookmarking, being a UI feature, isn't defined in HTML5.)
>
> --
> Ian Hickson U+1047E )\._.,--....,'``. fL
> http://ln.hixie.ch/ U+263A /, _.. \ _\ ;`._ ,.
> Things that are impossible just take longer. `._.-(,_..'--(,_..'`-.;.'

Windows Live: Make it easier for your friends to see what you?re up to on Facebook.
http://www.microsoft.com/middleeast/windows/windowslive/see-it-in-action/social-network-basics.aspx?ocid=PID23461::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-xm:SI_SB_2:092009