[whatwg] framesets

Boris,

 > use cases that the W3C wants to discourage ...

That W3C mindset promotes no greater good; it just imposes an idea of
what use cases should and shouldn't specify. Might as wellwrite popuo
removal into HTML5.

 > The use cases can still be addressed with <iframe> and a bit of pain
if resizing is desired, as far as I can tell.

I quoted Andrew Fedoniouk
(http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2007-March/010186.html),
"There are use cases when frames are good. As an example: online (and
offline) help systems ...  In such cases they provide level of usability
higher than any other method of presenting content of such type."

I've not seen a counterexample. Have you?

 >So this is all about assuming that the bit of pain will be enough of
an inconvenience
 >for authors that they will either address the use case in some way not
involving iframes
 >at all (and which presumably has a lower pain threshild; what is this
way?)

As above, no-one seems able to point to a non-frameset solution.

 >or not address
 >the use case at all (unlikely, since they're being paid to address it).

IMO money has no place in this discussion.

 > Since UAs must continue supporting framesets anyway, the reasoning
behind removing them seems somewhat weak to me.

Yes.

PB

-----