[whatwg] Charset sniffing from XML prolog

On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 21:35:00 -0400, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky at MIT.EDU> wrote:
> On 10/7/09 9:29 PM, Kartikaya Gupta wrote:
> > Using document.inputEncoding:
> > http://stakface.com/pub/mango/fakexml.html
> > http://stakface.com/pub/mango/fakexml_iso.html
> >
> > Using a degree symbol in UTF-8:
> > http://stakface.com/pub/mango/fakexml2.html
> > http://stakface.com/pub/mango/fakexml2_iso.html
>
> All of those end up ISO-8859-1 for me on Mac (using default encoding of
> ISO-8859-1, auto-detect off, no extensions funny business, never visited
> the page before or anything).

Anything else that might be affecting this? I've checked Firefox on three laptops now - two windows, one Mac. The one on Mac is pretty much out-of-the-box since it's a new laptop and I normally use Opera.

Is anybody else seeing UTF-8 for the pages above? Or am I just going crazy? Strangely this isn't the first time my browsers give me results nobody else sees [1].

kats

[1] http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2009-February/018516.html