[whatwg] HTML 5 drag and drop feedback

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009, Sebastian Markb?ge wrote:

> No browser has implemented the copy/paste part of the spec.

Few parts of the spec are perfectly implemented anywhere today, indeed.
That's what it'll take years to get to -- that's where the "2022" estimate
comes from, in fact -- I doubt we'll have two perfect implementations
before then.

> As for lazy data...
>
> If the drag/drop is actually a copy/paste, you still have to serialize
> ALL data. If your script made the assumption that it wouldn't, then that
> could cause some interesting bloated clipboard. To me, this is just
> another example of why the copy/paste API should be separate.

I don't see why copy and paste is different than drag and drop here. In
both cases, you would want to push a promise into the dataTransfer (or its
analogue) for performance reasons.

> I've also suggested that you allow for lazy loading of data as entire
> files using: dataTransfer.setRemoteData(type, uri);
>
> Using a remote URI in the clipboard, that API could lazily load data
> even after the document is unloaded.
>
> But I also like the idea of a callback.

Yes, I think this is a worthwhile addition to the API -- once the
implementations are closer to what the spec says.