[whatwg] AJAX History Concerns

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 5:43 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> The idea is that the string you would put into the back button or history
> menu is not the same as the string you would put into the title bar or
> bookmarks (i.e. not the same as <title>).

That doesn't seem too unreasonable, but I think it's strange to set
that title through push/replaceState, since an alternate page title is
orthogonal to the idea of an AJAX page with state objects.  It might
be confusing to expose this alternate title in the document object,
but perhaps we could expose it as a property or setter function
somewhere else.  Then we could persist it properly across forward /
backs within the same document.

> document.title is often used to include things like unread count in a mail
> client or RSS reader. That's orthogonal from the state you would want to
> show in the back button ("Inbox", "Spam folder", "Settings", or whatever).

In this case, it seems like we'd want the bookmark title to use the
pushState title, not document.title (e.g. the bookmark would read
"Inbox", not "Inbox (8)").

-Justin