[whatwg] getImageData/putImageData comments

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 3:47 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky at mit.edu> wrote:

> Oliver Hunt wrote:
>
>>   Worse yet, the current setup means that a script that tries
>>>   createImageData, fill in the pixels, and then paint it to the
>>>   canvas, needs to fill different numbers of pixels depending on the
>>>   output device.  I fully expect script authors to get this very very
>>>   wrong, since it's such non-intuitive behavior.  It would make more
>>>   sense to just have the script work entirely in CSS pixels; if it
>>>   wishes to create a higher-resolution image it can create a canvas
>>>   with bigger dimensions (and scale its actual display via setting
>>>   its width and height CSS properties).
>>>
>> This has been discussed heavily before.
>>

> Pointer, please.

Here are a couple of relevant threads:
http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2007-May/011284.html
http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2008-February/013906.html
Then there was a discussion on #whatwg more recently.
http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/whatwg/20090326#l-263

So far it seems the data supports the hypothesis that authors expect
getImageData to return 1 image pixel per CSS pixel and their scripts break
when that's not true. That won't change until authors all have high-dpi
screens.

Actually I thought I'd won Ollie over on this:
http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/whatwg/20090326#l-367

Rob
53:5-6]