[whatwg] page refresh and resubmitting POST state

From: Kornel Lesinski <kornel@geekhood.net>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 00:31:15 +0100
On Fri, 22 May 2009 21:48:28 +0100, Mike Wilson <mikewse at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for expanding on my previous mail, Jonas, but I was assuming
> that everyone on this list was aware of the PRG pattern and its
> existing support in browsers.
>
> With current technology there are limitations to the usefulness of
> PRG (f ex in multi-window/tab scenarios), so I am asking if it is
> within HTML5's scope to explore improved or alternative solutions
> to the "resubmit" problem.

As far as I understand the "resubmit problem" is just sign of poor implementation that violates SHOULD NOT in the HTTP RFC:
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec13.html#sec13.13

This problem can be elegantly solved within existing standards: Opera simply goes back in history without resubmitting forms, and resubmits only when user clicks standard Reload button (or F5, etc.)

--
regards, Kornel Lesinski