[whatwg] A new attribute for <video> and low-power devices

From: Benjamin M. Schwartz <bmschwar@fas.harvard.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 12:59:01 -0400
Simon Pieters wrote:
> If there is a controls attribute or if scripting is disabled, show
> controls, else use author-provided scripted button (if any) to play the
> video.

Consider a webpage in which a side-effect of clicking on some scripted
button is to trigger a small animation (using <video>) elsewhere on the
page.  If your browser is configured to show <video> full-screen, this
webpage will become nearly unusable, because the small animation will take
over the screen every time you click on a button.

I am proposing an additional attribute for <video> so that the browser
will know not to do that.

--Ben