[whatwg] [Fwd: Re: Helping people seaching for content filtered by license]

From: Eduard Pascual <herenvardo@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 12:04:29 +0200
On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 8:40 AM, Smylers <Smylers at stripey.com> wrote:
> Nils Dagsson Moskopp writes:
>
>> Am Freitag, den 08.05.2009, 19:57 +0000 schrieb Ian Hickson:
>>
>> > ? ? ?* Tara runs a video sharing web site for people who want
>> > ? ? ? ?licensing information to be included with their videos. When
>> > ? ? ? ?Paul wants to blog about a video, he can paste a fragment of
>> > ? ? ? ?HTML provided by Tara directly into his blog. The video is
>> > ? ? ? ?then available inline in his blog, along with any licensing
>> > ? ? ? ?information about the video.
> [...]

> Why does the license information need to be machine-readable in this
> case? ?(It may need to be for a different scenario, but that would be
> dealt with separately.)

It would need to be machine-readable for tools like
http://search.creativecommons.org/ to do their job: check the license
against the engine's built-in knowledge of some licenses, and figure
out if it is suitable for the usages the user has requested (like
"search for content I can build upon" or "search for content I can use
commercialy"). Ideally, a search engine should have enough with
finding the video on either Tara's site *or* Paul's blog for it to be
available for users.

Just my two cents.