[whatwg] Spec should require UAs to have control to mute/ pause audio/ video

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 9 May 2009 16:16:56 -0500
On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 2:45 AM, Bruce Lawson <brucel at opera.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 08 May 2009 02:10:20 +0100, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> I don't see why this should be a browser requirement. ?UAs are
>> *allowed* to provide such a facility to their users, so if your UA
>> doesn't, complain until they do!
>
> Perfect solution for those who live in Utopia. But as many users neither
> choose their browsers, or are unable to change them, it's better to require
> it of the browser.

Browser developers are typically attentive to accessibility issues,
especially when they can be resolved by something as easy as a simple
config entry.  A SHOULD would be sufficient there.

The issue is that not all browsers have significant configs (I'm
thinking of mobile browsers here), and I don't believe their inability
to provide such a choice to the user should make them nonconforming.

As well, recall that the majority browser for 'unsophisticated' users
is still IE6 or 7, and IE8 still lacks any support for <video> at all,
so those users will be stuck dealing with js and flash-based video for
some time still.  Marginally more savvy users will be using FF, Opera,
or Safari, all of which I believe would likely be receptive to this
change.

~TJ