[whatwg] Interaction of explicit and implicit sections (was: Re: Question on (new) header and hgroup)

On Fri, 08 May 2009 00:58:21 +0200, Simon Pieters <simonp at opera.com> wrote:

> Actually I believe it would be:
>
> +--HTML 5
>     +--A new era of loveliness
>     +--Navigation
>

> This surprised me when I used implicit sections and just wrapped
> <article>s around news items (which were <h3>s). I expected the outline
> to be like it was without the <article>:
>
> +--Site heading
>    +--Page heading
>       +--News item
>
> ...but instead it became (according to your and gsnedders' outliners):
>
> +--Site heading
>    +--Page heading
>    +--News item
>

> Maybe the spec should change here to match people's expectations better?

<zcorpan_> hmm i wonder how <hgroup> messes up implicit sections
<zcorpan_> maybe <hgroup> should have the same rank as its highest child h* element instead of always having rank 1
<zcorpan_> so you can do <h1>foo</h1><h2>bar</h2><hgroup><h3>baz</h3><h4>quux</h4></hgroup>
<zcorpan_> where baz is a subsection of bar
<Hixie> non-issue in practice, imho, <hgroup> is almost always going to be the first heading
<Hixie> and the rest of the time, people can use <section>
<Hixie> no?
<zcorpan_> would be nice if it worked as people expect when using implied sections
<Hixie> i guess
<Hixie> ...send mail :-)

--
Simon Pieters