[whatwg] table 'frames' attribute

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 18:09:09 -0700
Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Mon, 4 May 2009, fantasai wrote:
>> Section 10.2.6, i.e. The XHTML syntax: Rendering: Punctuation and decoration
>> contains some style rules for handling the [rules] and [frames] attributes
>> of the <table> element. I haven't reviewed it all in detail but this part
>>
>>   table[frames=void] > tr > td, table[frames=void] > tr > th,
>>   table[frames=above] > tr > td, table[frames=above] > tr > th,
>>   table[frames=below] > tr > td, table[frames=below] > tr > th,
>>   table[frames=border] > tfoot > tr > td, table[frames=border] > tfoot > tr >
>> th {
>>     border-style: solid;
>>   }
>>
>> is certainly wrong both per spec (HTML4) and implementation. It should be
>> removed.
>
> Could you elaborate on how it is wrong?

Yeah, sure.

http://www.w3.org/TR/html40/struct/tables.html#h-11.3.1

"This attribute specifies which sides of the frame surrounding a table
will be visible."

It's not supposed to create any internal borders, just affect the borders
of the <table> itself. By contrast the 'border' attribute does create
internal borders, but you can see that called out specifically later in
that section.

~fantasai