[whatwg] About Descendent Tags

Ian Hickson:
> On Fri, 1 May 2009, Christoph P?per wrote:
>> Ian Hickson:
>>> I've renamed the old <header> to <hgroup>.
>> Did you consider using 'h' instead?
>
> I think that would be confusing for people who have heard of
> XHTML2's <h>
> (since it is quite different; HTML5's <h1> is the better match there).

Well, "the rank of an |hgroup| element is the same as for an |h1|
element", but to superset XHTML2's |h| more or less, |h|/|hgroup|
would have to work, i.e. have a text for outlines, without |h#|
descendants.

   <h><h1>Foo</h1></h>,
   <h><h1>Foo</h1><h2>Bar</h2></h>,
   <h><h2>Bar</h2><h1>Foo</h1></h>,
   <h><h2>Foo</h2></h> and
   <h>Foo</h>

would all have to add "Foo" as a highest rank entry to the document
(or section) outline.

Anyhow, I just wanted to make sure the option was considered. I don't
care much either way. It's more important that |header| now matches |
footer| better.

(And I certainly don't want to reopen the can of worms that is |hr|,
which I still would expect to be treated like an empty |section| (or |
h#|/|h|/|hgroup|), not like an empty |p|, thus possibly closing
implicit sections.)