[whatwg] Input type for phone numbers

From: Antti Koivisto <antti@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 14:37:13 -0700

On 31.3.2009, at 13:35, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 22:19:35 +0200, Antti Koivisto <antti at apple.com>
> wrote:
>> Validation is indeed a complete red herring, this is about input
>> methods.
>
> In that case it might be better to re-introduce the inputmode=""
> attribute for this purpose. The specific type="" attribute values
> actually ensure (when implemented) that some normalized form of the
> data goes to the server. If that is not a goal here I'm not sure we
> should introduce a type="" attribute value for it.

Phone number specific input method presumably won't allow entering
values that are not phone numbers so a reasonable implementation
satisfies your normalization requirement. However validation is not
the reason why this is an interesting feature, the ability to provide
better user interface is.

I don't see how this is different from the existing type attribute
values like "email". Could you explain the difference?

    antti