[whatwg] Input type for phone numbers

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 07:12:26 +0000 (UTC)
On Mon, 30 Mar 2009, Antti Koivisto wrote:

> I'd like to propose a new <input> type attribute value for phone numbers
> (<input type="phonenumber"> perhaps). The primary benefit would be to
> enable use of phone number specific input methods (for example a virtual
> keyboard) and pickers (for example a system address book). A useful
> minimal implementation could limit the allowed characters to those legal
> in phone numbers (+ * # and 0-9).

Would the pattern="" attribute not be enough?

Generally speaking at this point it's probably best for us to wait for the
currently defined features to be more widely implemented before we add any
more controls, since otherwise we'll just end up with different browsers
implementing different subsets and it'll be a big mess.