[whatwg] URL decomposition on HTMLAnchorElement interface

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 10:49:41 -0700
On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 4:55 AM, Kartikaya Gupta
<lists.whatwg at stakface.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 23:01:34 -0400, Biju <bijumaillist at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 5:26 PM, Kartikaya Gupta
>> > This behavior seems rather inconsistent and possibly buggy.
>>
>> At first look I also thought it is inconsistent
>> But later I found Firefox is very consistent.
>> I think reason why it happening like that is because Firefox clean up
>> URL by removing extra slash before host name
>> and adding a slash after host name and also convert host name to lowercase.
>>

> Well, yes, I'm sure there is a simple set of rules that will explain this behavior from the implementation point of view. However, it is inconsistent for the average user.
>
> The behavior where nulling out the hostname causes the first path component to become the hostname is particularly odd, IMO. I can't think of any use of this behavior that would be considered anything other than an ugly hack.

What would you suggest should happen instead?

I don't see a reason why we wouldn't be ok with changing how firefox
behaves here, but discussions about better ways of doing it are a lot
more productive than discussions about how bad the current behavior
is.

/ Jonas