[whatwg] AppCache and SharedWorkers?

From: Alexey Proskuryakov <ap@webkit.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 13:58:56 +0300

On 26.03.2009, at 1:01, Drew Wilson wrote:

> * Shared (or persistent) worker contexts should be associated with
> an appcache according to the same resource loading and cache
> selection logic used for top-level browsing contexts. (So just like
> navigating a window.)
>
> That may make sense for Shared workers, I think. For persistent
> workers I think this is a problem - persistent workers need a way to
> manage their own app cache, since they are not guaranteed to have
> any open windows/documents associated with them. My concern about
> this is that app cache manifests are only specified via <manifest>
> html tags, which makes them only applicable to HTML documents (you
> can't associate a manifest with a worker since there's no document
> to put the manifest tag in).

Letting faceless background processes update themselves without user
consent is not necessarily desirable. I think that they need browser
UI for this, and/or associated HTML configuration pages that could
(among other duties) trigger application cache update.

So in my opinion, this is pretty much a sub-task of defining what UI
is necessary for persistent workers in the browser, not a question of
exposing application cache APIs to them.

- WBR, Alexey Proskuryakov