[whatwg] "C:\fakepath\" in HTML5

From: Bil Corry <bil@corry.biz>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 11:01:35 -0500
Ian Hickson wrote on 3/24/2009 12:09 AM:
> The original plan was to just have the filename. Unfortunately, it turns
> out that if you do that, there are certain sites that break, because they
> expect the path (and they expect a Windows path, no less). This is why
> Opera and IE8 return a fake path -- not because HTML5 says to do it. In
> fact I made HTML5 say it because they were doing it.

I played with this a bit more, it turns out that IE8 returns "C:\fakepath\filename.ext" for sites in the Internet zone, but returns the real path for sites in the Trusted zone.  So even if HTML5 requires returning just the file name and is implemented as such in IE, the user can still designate their router as a Trusted Zone and be able to update their firmware.

- Bil