[whatwg] "C:\fakepath\" in HTML5

From: James Graham <jgraham@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 16:06:21 +0100
Randy Drielinger wrote:
> So instead of fixing the web, we're "fixing" the spec (and thus
> implementing fakepath in browsers)?

It's purely a question of what browser makers are prepared to implement.
The spec has to reflect a consensus amongst browser makers so that it
actualy gets implemented, otherwise it is no use to anyone. If you don't
want the fakepath thing (and I agree it is ugly), try convincing the
known-broken sites to change (citing the fact that they may break in
Firefox could give you quite some leverage here). The fewer compat.
reasons there are to keep the ugly solution, the easier it is to have
the pretty solution.