[whatwg] "C:\fakepath\" in HTML5

From: João Eiras <joaoe@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 11:27:56 +0100
> Which sites?  Any site that *requires* a Windows path clearly isn't interested in inter-operating with other browsers/platforms; heck, it means they've limited their testing to just Windows/IE.  Don't punish the rest of us for their poor testing/programming.

My friend ! Welcome to the internet :)

opera adopted this behavior because for a long time we were the only ones with only the file name. And for a long time we always had compatibility problems, and sites that simply refused to fix. I recall Orkut avatar upload (checked for ":" in input.value), and some router firmwares. So, while keeping the privacy of the user we added c:\fake_path for the reasons mentioned. It's a sad true, but it was necessary.

--

Jo?o Eiras
Core Developer, Opera Software ASA, http://www.opera.com/