[whatwg] Web Addresses vs Legacy Extended IRI

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 11:51:26 +0100
On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 11:46:15 +0100, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de>
> Because it's preferable to the alternative, which is, leaking out the
> non-conformant URI/IRI handling into other places.

Apparently that is already happening in part anyway due to LEIRIs. Modulo
the URL encoding bit (which you can set to always being UTF-8 for non-HTML
contexts) I'm not sure what's so bad about allowing a few more characters.

> The issue is that it's *not* the same thing.

Well, no, not exactly. But they perform essentially the same task, modulo
a few characters. And since one is a superset of the other (as long as URL
encoding is UTF-8) I don't see a point in having both.

Anne van Kesteren