[whatwg] Web Addresses vs Legacy Extended IRI

From: Giovanni Campagna <scampa.giovanni@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 20:45:51 +0100
HTML5 originally included a section about resource identifiers
processing. A few days ago that section was extracted into the W3C
editor draft of Web Addresses. I noticed it and remembered that I had
read once something like that.

Precisely, what I once read is <http://www.w3.org/TR/leiri>, a note
released by XML Core WG about legacy identifiers in XML content. This
was later included into the IRI-bis draft, available at
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-duerst-iri-bis-05> (section 7).

Now I would like to ask:
are there any major differences that requires the W3C / WHATWG to
publish an other specification, just for HTML5, instead of just
referencing the IRI-bis draft or the LEIRI working group note?

Giovanni