[whatwg] <video> element error handling

That makes some sense. So the UA would handle missing codec problems like
many handle missing plug-ins. Is that part of the spec already? From what I
have gathered, it seemed that everyone was/is content with the UA just
displaying nothing when the video couldn't be rendered even if it did
support the <video> element.

For me, I was personally planning on putting the <embed> element instead of
text. So it would be (like my very first example), <video src=""><embed
/></video>.

The plan here was to make the video available to the new iPhone 3.0 OS which
supports the <video> element, and then the flash version of the same video
would be available to those who had Flash installed but was using an older
UA.

But the concern was "what happens when a UA _does_ support the <video>
element and cannot render the resource?"

And the proposed answer in the spec was: "User agents that cannot render the
video may instead make the element represent a link to an external video
playback utility or to the video data itself."

My proposal is that it is changed to "User agents that cannot render the
video should instead make the element represent a link to an external video
playback utility, offer instructions or steps to install the appropriate
codec, or offer a link video data itself."

I might even want to use "must"

Cheers