[whatwg] postMessage object cloning

From: Oliver Hunt <oliver@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 17:33:59 -0700
So I've been looking at the object cloning rules for postMessage and
have noticed a couple of things that seem less than ideal.  The first
is that it fails to specify the behaviour of cloning for prototype
chains.  While this is definitely an issue specific to JS rather than
binding languages as a whole, JS is the language of the web, so if I
have an object, a la:
myObject = {};
myObject.__proto__ = {foo: "bar"}

Do we clone the prototype object?  Do we flatten the prototype list?
or do we drop the prototype?

The other issue i bumped into is behaviour of ImageData/
CanvasPixelArray -- currently (per spec) these will not be cloned, and
instead have to be marshalled into and out of arrays by the
developer.  This seems less than ideal -- could the internal
structuring algorithm be extended to include these types.  The
alternative is to allow CPA, etc to be automatically marshalled to
arrays, which (while not ideal) would at least get processing correct
in one direction.  Unfortunately the developer would still have to
manually marshall data coming from the worker, hence my preference for
allowing ImageData and CPA to be cloned.

--Oliver