[whatwg] <time>

On 13 Mar 2009, at 16:19, David Singer wrote:

> Can we drop this topic?  Apart from suggesting
> a) that the fully delimited date format be required (extended format);
> b) that year 0000 and before be allowed;
> c) that parsing the body text as 8601 may be dangerous if it's
> notated the same way but not (possibly proleptic) Gregorian;

I agree, with the addition of time periods denoted by two datetimes
seperated by a / eg. 1914/1918. This would bring HTML5 in line with
existing authorship practices in use in TEI. Authors will be able to
encode any historical date be it Julian, Roman, Mayan, Chinese etc by
continuing to do what they're already accustomed to doing -
publishing the machine readable date as a proleptic Gregorian date.

The proposed schemes for alternative calendars seem like a red
herring to me, since noone in practice encodes machine readable
versions of alternative calendars when digitising a text.

Regards
Jim

Jim O'Donnell
jim at eatyourgreens.org.uk