[whatwg] Codecs for <audio> and <video>

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 3:15 PM, Peter Kasting<pkasting at google.com> wrote:
> This is not a case where vendor
> consensus is currently possible (despite the apparently naive beliefs on the
> part of some who think the vendors are merely ignorant and need education on
> the benefits of codec x or y), and "just put it in the spec to apply
> pressure" is not a reasonable response.

*Requiring* Ogg support might be a bit much, I agree, since it implies
that nobody would have a legitimate foreseeable reason for not
supporting it, and that's ungenerous at best.  But the spec could
still *encourage* Ogg support while acknowledging there may be reasons
not to have it.  Saying all implementations *should* support Ogg
Theora and Vorbis acknowledges that there "may exist valid reasons in
particular circumstances to ignore a particular item, but the full
implications must be understood and carefully weighed before choosing
a different course".  This seems like a perfectly reasonable response
to me.