[whatwg] Issues with Web Sockets API

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 3:16 PM, Drew Wilson <atwilson at google.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 2:11 PM, James Robinson <jamesr at google.com> wrote:
>

>> Forcing applications to build their own send/ack functionality would be
>> pretty tragic considering that WebSockets are built on top of TCP.
>>
>> - James
>>

> Every time I've written a response/reply protocol on TCP I've needed to put
> in my own acks - how else do you know your message has been delivered to the
> remote app layer?

Classic networking problem... if you do send the ack... how does the ack
sender know the other side has received it... and so on.

> One could argue that WebSockets should do this for you, but I like leaving
> this up to the app as it gives them more flexibility.

Yes.

But knowing if the data your queuing to be sent is backing up in your local
system instead of being pushed out is different than knowing if the remote
side has received it and processed it. The former can be done w/o changing
the websocket network protocol, the latter cannot.