[whatwg] H.264-in-<video> vs plugin APIs

On 14.06.2009, at 04:02, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> As for Safari and any other software on the Mac that is using the
> QuickTime framework, there is XiphQT to provide support. It's a
> QuickTime component and therefore no different to installing a Flash
> plugin, thus you can also count Safari as a browser that has support
> for Ogg Theora/Vorbis, even if I'm sure people from Apple would not
> like to see it this way.

It's actually quite different, on a technical level and for the user.
Flash is a browser plugin and XiphQT is an additional Quicktime codec.
Quicktime has supported third party codec for years; the whole point
of this is that any app which uses Quicktime can make use of these
third party codecs ? like Safari does. A browser plugin like Flash
OTOH is useless outside the browser. So like I said: these are quite
different things on several level.

Simon

--
Simon Spiegel
Steinhaldenstr. 50

Telephon: ++41 44 451 5334
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39

http://www.simifilm.ch

?Was soll aus mir mal werden, wenn ich mal nicht mehr bin?? Robert
Gernhardt